Monday, October 12, 2009

Simply Nurturing



When life seems to complicated to me, I find it really important to make a simple meal that feeds my soul. Rather than grabbing a bag of chips and sitting on the couch with a beer, I knew it would be a more restorative act to prepare a simple nurturing meal tonight. So, I reached into my fridge, and discovered my vegetable stash. How could I have forgotten the 'octo-carrot' I found at the Wedge Coop last week! Rice is always the thing I make a meal around when I need comfort, so I started by making a quick pot of broken rice. While the rice was cooking, I started cutting up the veggies, sharing the scraps with Chou Chou the little bunny. I always like to start by heating canola oil and toasted sesame oil in a heavy skillet, adding 1/2 julienne onion, 1 tablespoon diced ginger root, and 2 cloves of sliced garlic and saute until the onions are caramelized. Add 1 diced carrot and cook until just tender. Add a little soy sauce and a little dash of white wine, and toss in some broccoli bits. Cover and cook until al dente. Serve the veggies over the warm rice. Such a good, simple dish to comfort on a cold evening.
.









I had some leftover rice and also some nice ripe mango, so I added some coconut milk, vanilla sugar, and a little bit of Celtic sea salt to the rice and topped it with fresh mango slices sprinkled with a little bit of crushed sea salt. Perfect!

1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMMM! Thank you for the inspiration! Sounds like something I could certainly try. Will put fresh ginger on the list.

    ReplyDelete